Thursday, August 4, 2011

PMFP

Has anyone heard of Libby's Potted Meat Food Product? I believe this is the epitome of a horrible American diet. A friend and I were doing our weekly shopping awhile ago and found this "substance". Something to be eaten, as it says, on crackers. Ingredients are as follows: mechanically separated chicken, pork skin, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, vinegar, less than 2% (thank heavens!) of salt, spices, sugar, flavorings, sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrate.
I see many problems here.

1. when an ingredient contains both "defatted" and "fatty" does that mean the ingredient doesn't exist?
2. when the first word is mechanically, does that mean i am supposed to eat the can?
3. what sort of flavorings are we talking about here?
4. why the fancy name? i mean the price of .75 cents already identifies upper-class as your target audience
5. also I never understood why recipes have both sugar and salt.

No comments: