Sunday, February 9, 2014
To Follow Blindly is Without Faith
I was at the dreaded mall yesterday. I hate the mall. Maybe because I hate people forcing me to buy the latest and greatest (I have a cell phone already! Leave me alone!). Maybe because everything is always too expensive. Maybe it's because I meet people like the woman in the store yesterday who inspired this post. I was in a trendy store filled with coral and turquoise, bangle jewelry, the hippest jeans, etc. She had eyed a pair of (trendy, or course) ivory lace shorts. Then she said this gem of a statement, "I love them! Can I call President Monson so I can tell him how cute these are?! The ones in the bermuda length would be so ugly but these are so cute!" Fast forward the few hours it took me to grasp that an LDS woman had just said that. I'm not saying I place myself above her because honestly, I could easily see my younger self saying something similar. But it made me think of the way we follow the Prophet. Do we merely take his advice because we know we should or do we seek to understand why he may be giving us these commandments? I think it is so important for us to listen to the Prophet, heed his advice, and seek to understand all he tells us. When we merely follow someone because we know we should we become lifeless and thoughtless robots. Be believing and full of faith and ponder why the Prophet has given us that particular commandment. If we try to understand why he has given it, we can follow with not only faith but with a purpose to become better disciples.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment