Monday, November 14, 2011

adventures in the kitchen (part 2)

I lost my domestic spirit for awhile but alas! it has returned.  Yesterday I tried my hand at my mother's famous apple pie.  Her crust is flaky, her apple filling is sweet yet natural, and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream I don't know it can be beat.  I got the recipe from her but somehow my crust was a wee bit too small for the pie so it was a one layer crust and with the remaining dough I made a mini-pie.  I was so excited to eat the mini pie because I rinsed off the excess sugar from the filling to make it less sweet. I set it out on the counter to cool and after I went to the fireside I returned to find this:
  It's head was stuck so far into the pie that it didn't even notice the flash.  I guess I should have learned by now to never leave mini cakes and pies out for the critters.  It's like putting a mini toilet in the restroom with a sign "no children".  They're not going to heed the sign anyway and who else would it be for?


1 comment:

Hiedi said...

that is terrible to lose a pie to a cockroach!! so sad.